Taking Advantage of Vertical Space: How to Maximize your Storage
While there are many benefits to apartment and condo living, one of the downsides can include a tight floor plan. When you run out of floor space it’s time to start thinking vertically. Accent cabinets and sideboards provide only a fraction of the storage that taller furnishings offer. Extend your storage capacity with a bookcase, curio, armoire, china cabinet or shelves. These pieces create storage opportunities from floor to ceiling and make a snug dwelling comfortable and functional.
Try some of these statuesque pieces to increase vertical storage in your small space:
Bookcases and Bookshelves
Against the wall, in a corner or floating in the room as a room divider, a bookcase is a tried-and-true storage solution. Open shelves are great for storing items that display well. For storing small items that might make your space look cluttered, opt for styles with lower cabinets or use boxes, baskets or bins as containers on the shelves. Even in the smallest spaces, corner bookcases increase storage without overwhelming a room.
Available in many styles from contemporary to cottage casual, these storage and display workhorses add beauty and functionality to your room. Many bookcases have fixed shelves, for increased versatility look for cases with adjustable shelves. These provide more flexibility in the size and shape of what you can store or display.
Armoires and Storage Cabinets
Closed cabinet armoires can be found in a variety of sizes with designs that add functional storage to virtually any room of your home. In your bedroom, an armoire can add extra space for your wardrobe with drawers and shelves as well as hanging space. Media armoires help organize and contain your TV and accessories. Armoire desks provide a functional workspace that can be closed away to hide clutter and papers. Storage cabinets are yet another option for closed storage, they come at varying heights and sizes with an array of drawer or shelved storage options inside.
Argento Pecan 2 Pc Wall Unit
Entertainment wall units are an excellent way to maximize vertical storage in your living room. In addition to providing the storage below a flatscreen that a media table does, these pieces provide cabinets, drawers, shelves and cubbies for storage and display beside the television, and in some cases above the TV as well.
Chapmin Brown Server
China Cabinets and Curios
In your dining area display furnishings allow you to showcase your glassware and serving pieces. Opt between curios with full-length glass fronts or china cabinets that offer closed storage on the bottom half to store smaller items that are best kept tucked out of sight.
- Simple changes such as opting for a tall, vertical chest of drawers rather than a lower, wider dresser can save on floor space while providing all of the drawered storage that you need.
- A raised or platform bed can provide additional storage below the mattress.
- Wall-mounted shelves or cabinets can add storage at any height along the wall without taking up floor space. These can be added above a bed, chair, desk, counters or accent tables. They also work well in hallways, entryways and bathrooms.
- Don’t forget to use the tops of cabinets, bookcases and armoires for additional storage or display opportunities.
- If your vertical storage puts your items well out of reach look for bookcase ladders to give you a boost when you need it.
For more ideas on storage, check out these articles: Furnishing Ideas For Extra Storage Throughout Your Home, Storage Suggestions For Every Room and Big Ideas for Small Spaces - Smart Space-Savers.