How to Create a Bedroom Retreat
With our lives as hectic as they are it’s often nice to have a respite, a relaxing place to get away from it all. Many find that type of sanctuary is perfect for their master bedroom.
How do you create a soothing, tranquil get-away? By simplifying color pallet, streamlining furnishing choices and splurging on a few luxury items.
Color Sets the Stage
Designers recommend starting with a soothing shade on the walls and following suit with deeper hues on curtains, bedding and accents. By staying within tight ranges or families of colors, you automatically add a sense of peace. Look for calming greens, soothing lavender, soft sea-side or country cottage blues, light natural oatmeal and off-whites.
Go for tone-on-tone color play in bedding and accents, where colors blend and meld with each other. By varying the shades slightly in both tone and depth, you will create a rich soothing pallet. Add to this a mixing of textural elements; look for different surface materials – from shiny to loosely woven to velvety plush.
Since the bed is tends to be the largest element in the room, and is automatically the focal point. A bed with an upholstered headboard works well in tranquil rooms because it softens the space. Natural woods work well also, go with clean lines for an uncluttered look, or more ornate carvings for a romantic nod to era’s gone-by.
For an indulgent, lavish feeling, select the largest bed that fits your room without crowding. Opt for at least a queen sized bed, but select a king if your space can handle it. Remember that you want more than just room to move around, open space allows your eyes and mind to rest.
Next outfit the bed in luxurious linens. Look for natural fibers and high thread counts in muted patterns, or interesting textures in natural colors. Accent the bed with contrasting throw pillows that add variety to the color and texture pallet you have created, while staying within the same color family. Keep in mind that it’s fine to deviate a little by adding bits of contrast for interest.
Place a hope chest, bench or chaise at the foot of the bed. This works especially well if you have no footboard. This can offer extra storage space for linens, a place to lay out your clothes for the day, or a spot to sit as you dress.
If there is space in a corner of your room, add a comfy arm chair with accent table and lamp to create a reading nook. Adding details like this softens the hard edges of all of the wood furniture in the room, and will set your mind on thoughts of quite, reflective and relaxing activities. A chaise is a more indulgent appointment and would provide a comfortable space to rest or lounge.
Adorn your room with different lighting options. You’ll want to have bright general lighting, possibly with a chandelier or other ceiling light, as well as soft filtered lighting – offered possibly by wall sconces or table lamps.
Add small details to elevate your space and make it truly feel like a get-away or your own personal spa.
- Select a handful of different sized and shaped items that you really enjoy the design and feel of. Whether sculptural pieces, a beautiful vase, a few candles on interesting candlestick bases – look for things that bring a smile to your face.
- Hang art on the walls that is simple and soothing. A mirror and few are pieces or photos are great, but remember to keep things simple and uncluttered in appearance.
- Add a soft area rug to your room that is comfortable underfoot and pulls the room together. Select one that is solid or a muted pattern that works well with your color scheme.
- Include something green – a living, breathing plant. Encourage a moment of Zen by incorporating a potted orchid or lucky bamboo. Further the theme by surrounding it with polished river stones.
- Add scents in the form of flower buds, candles, potpourri or diffuser. Lavender, orange blossoms, chamomile and sandalwood are all known to promote relaxation. Like the rest of your design, look for subtle scents that play like background music, not anything overwhelming.
And finally, clear the room of clutter. Remove anything untidy or messy that overburdens the eye. And especially stash away things like laptops, phones and anything else which would prevent you from fully relaxing.
Artesia Beige 8' x 11' Rug
Broccato Pink 3' x 5' Rug
Finding just the right sofa for your home can make all the difference on how you use your space. The right fit, construction and style will ensure you continue to love and make the most of your living room for many years to come. While this . . .
Whether pulled up to a counter spot for a casual place to eat, at an in-home game room bar or paired with a bar height table; bar stools have become an important part of many homes. Finding the best match for your needs is as easy as evalua . . .
Versatile and hardworking, these bedroom storage mainstays there are slight differences between a dresser and chest of drawers. Though both contain multiple drawers, they differ in design and size. Either one might be great for your home, d . . .