Outdoor Patio Dining Furniture Sets & Collections
Whether you're imagining hosting elegant soirees or casual family barbeques in the backyard, picking out the perfect patio dining set can seem daunting. With so many styles and designs to choose from, it's best to start with the basics. More
Be sure to consider the dimensions of your patio or deck when choosing outdoor furniture. Patio dining sets need ample space to allow for movement and comfort while keeping guests a safe distance from other features like barbeques or fire pits.
In addition, keep seating measurements in mind. Comparison shop and spend some time trying out dining chairs to make sure they are a comfortable height, width and depth for guests.
Materials & Budget
The materials and cost of your patio dining set are also important factors. Popular choices for table and chair frames are wood, metal or plastic:
- Long-lasting and weather-resistant when treated
- Prone to warping and rot when untreated
- May be easy or difficult to move based on the style
- Sets can be expensive
- Resists rust with the proper finish
- Heats up quickly in direct sunlight
- Can be heavy or light depending on design
- Mid- to high-range prices
- Easy to clean, weatherproof
- Does not age well
- Light and easy to move or store
- Susceptible to being blown around in storms and strong winds
- Budget to mid-range pricing
In addition to frame materials, pay close attention to the fabrics in your patio dining set. Most outdoor textiles are UV resistant, but consider how rain or snow may affect cushions and coverings. Storage may be needed during severe weather.
Another tip for how to choose patio dining sets is to consider the table surface. Wood and metal are durable and quick to clean. Plastic is washable and inexpensive, but may scuff and scratch. Glass tabletops are often beautiful and simple to wipe down, but are easier to damage.
Style & Accessories
Many tables have a center hole to allow for an umbrella, which is a good option to bear in mind. Adding a little shade, as well as a pop of color, can make a patio dining set both more stylish and more comfortable to use on sunny afternoons.