Tall or short, wide or narrow, accent cabinets (and accent chests) are versatile additions to any home. Have an empty wall, bare corner or unfilled nook? Need a place to store small household items, toys or family games? Looking to add a little extra personality to your living space? An accent cabinet can fill all of these needs in one stylish package. These multipurpose workhorses come in all sizes, shapes, colors and finishes. While many tuck storage space behind hinged cabinet doors, some provide storage in the form of drawered space and can be referred to as accent chests. Typically accent cabinets will be between two to three feet tall, but you may find them as tall as 52”. Often widths can be anywhere from 14” - 36”, with a depth between one to two feet. Considered accent pieces since they are typically stand alone items with unique character and flair of their own as opposed to part of a furniture set. In this way, they add a new interest and style to your space.
Here are a few ways to spice up your home’s décor with accent cabinets:
- Use an accent chest in the hallway to store household necessities like batteries, flashlight, emergency candles and anything else you like to keep handy.
- In hallway near bedrooms the cabinet can be a great place to store extra blankets and linens.
Dining Room --
- Use as a small server, bar or wine rack. Servers and sideboards are typically large furniture pieces requiring lots of space, however if your dining room cannot accommodate something of that size, an accent cabinet may solve your problem. Plus, because you can pick from a variety of colors and patterns, you can find something unique to complement (rather than matching) your dining room set.
- Who isn’t looking for additional cabinet space in the kitchen? Many times you can find a nice cart or stand alone cabinet to extend your counter and storage space, but they tend to be rather deep. If you have an empty spot that is not quite deep enough to accommodate a cart, an accent cabinet might fill be the answer. Look for a cabinet that is relatively tall so that it is at counter height - about 36” tall. This will fit harmoniously among the countertops. An accent cabinet can add flair to your kitchen; typically kitchen carts and cabinets don’t offer many choices on color or materials, while accent cabinets offer loads of personality. Use yours to keep handy items close by like pencils, pens, scissors and supplies. Or extra kitchen must-haves like zip-top bags, cling wrap, and aluminum foil. Keeping the top available for phone charging stations, a bowl of fruit, a tray to catch keys and maybe a couple of ornamental knick-knacks -- freeing up your counter space for prep work kitchen appliances.
- In your bathroom, an accent cabinet or chest can be used to store extra towels and washcloths, extra rolls of toilet paper, and toiletry supplies. Top it with a bowl of flowers or diffuser. This would be especially handy if your bathroom has a pedestal sink, which looks great, but provides minimal counter space and no storage space at all. Typically tall and narrow cabinets will work best in the tight space of a bathroom.
- A lower profile accent cabinet can work really well as an end table beside a chair, sofa or loveseat. It will provide plenty of surface space for a lamp, cup of coffee and a book, while providing stylish storage area below.
- Add personality to a “floating” sofa by backing it with a pair of interesting accent chests. Not only will it give a finished look to the back side of the sofa, it will add storage space in a way that most sofa tables do not. Store cards, family games, puzzles and toys.
- Have a smaller TV? Use an accent cabinet as a media stand to give you a place to stash away cords and components, controllers and other gaming accessories.
- Looking for a unique, custom or eclectic look in your bedroom? Instead of opting for a bedroom set, hand-picked finds like an accent cabinet can function perfectly as a nightstand. Typically nightstands have a bit more depth than an accent cabinet, so look for a cabinet with some depth to it.
These are just a few ideas; there are many places that would benefit from the addition of an accent cabinet such as dressing areas, kids rooms, playrooms, home office spaces and more. The possibilities are limitless.