It’s great when friends and family come and stay for a visit, but often the guest accommodations in a home can be an afterthought. If you want overnight visitors to feel welcomed, you need to provide a quiet and comfortable retreat. These 5 tips will help you turn your spare room into a cozy and enjoyable guest bedroom suite.
1. A comfortable bed: It can be difficult for guests to fall asleep when they're in someone else’s home. Provide your guests with a comfortable bed and good mattress. Make sure you have plenty of new pillows and a quality comforter or blanket. How do you know if your guest will get a good night's sleep? Try it out! Spend a night or two in your guest bed and see if you wake up refreshed!
2. Clean and de-clutter: You want your guest room to be clean and clutter-free. Before your company arrives, make sure you do a thorough cleaning and remove all dust and cobwebs from furniture and corners. Guest rooms often moonlight as storage rooms, so make sure you remove all miscellaneous items. If you have nowhere else to store things, try using boxes and bins that can be easily tucked out of sight while your guests visit.
3. Fresh linens and toiletries: Fresh sheets, towels and blankets will let your guest know you care about their stay. Put a stack of clean towels with a new bar of soap at the end of the bed or on top of the dresser. Another elegant touch is a basket full of small toiletries items, like travel-sized shampoos, conditioners, lotions and soaps -- your guests will appreciate the thought.
4. Extra space: Make sure there is room for guests to put their clothes and personal items. A closet stocked with plenty of hangers is a must. Provide an empty dresser or at least two or three empty draws for guests to put their clothes. Also, clear space off the top of the dresser so guests have a spot for their smaller, personal items. Remember, your guests won’t feel at home if they are living out of a suitcase.
5. Sitting area: If your guest room is large enough, provide a separate sitting area with a small table and comfortable chair, perfect for relaxing after a long day. If your room is on the smaller side, add a a free-standing light and smaller chair or a nightstand with a lamp so guests can read a book or magazine. Plus, a nightstand with drawers can provide extra space for guests to place small personal items.
Creating the perfect guest bedroom suite does not have to be complicated. Following these basic tips will ensure your guests a comfortable stay and a return visit!