You’re ready! You’ve decided now is the time to buy a new mattress set. Whatever your reason – perhaps your living situation has changed or you’re just tired of the lumps and want a better night’s sleep – congratulations! We spend one-third of our lives sleeping, and investing in a quality mattress set is a smart move for your mental and physical well-being.
If it’s been a while since you’ve shopped for a mattress set, you may not be prepared for all the options that await you. Here’s an easy-to-understand overview of the three main types of mattresses available today and their unique features.
Innerspring (Coil) Mattresses
An innerspring mattress consists of a spring core, which provides the support, and a comfort layer. A variety of materials can be used for the comfort layer, including memory foam and latex form, and many innerspring mattresses have a pillowtop layer as well.
The key benefits of innerspring mattresses include:
- Wide range of options in firmness.
- More affordable price points.
- Feels familiar – they're what most of us have been sleeping on all our lives.
Memory Foam Mattresses
A memory foam mattress has a core of visco-elastic memory foam, rather than innersprings, to provide both support and comfort. Your body sinks into memory foam, distributing your weight over the surface of the mattress to relieve pressure points.
The main benefits of memory foam include:
- A custom fit to your body.
- Aligns your neck and spine, reducing pressure points.
- Reduced motion transfer since the foam absorbs motion.
Latex Foam Mattresses
A latex foam mattress has a central core of latex foam, as opposed to innersprings. The material's unique properties provide excellent support and comfort. The pressure relief is similar to memory foam but is accompanied by a buoyant, floating feeling as the foam supports the contours of your body.
Other unique benefits of latex foam include:
- Hypoallergenic – latex is naturally antimicrobial, dust-mite resistant and mildew-proof.
- Soft yet supportive, it aligns the spine and reduces pressure points.
- Breathable and resilient, which prevents heat buildup.
Remember: Buying a new mattress set is an investment, so don’t rush. Be patient and consider all your options to find the perfect one for you!